I figured the store running out the yarn I needed to finish my incredible scarf was justification to break my vow to make another three garments out of stash fabric before making something with zingy knit. I just cut straight to the sweet zings. I like how this top turned out, although I can see how a person would consider it too much zing. Simon is one such person. I put it on to show him and got an "Oh! Okay." Then his eyes pinged all over it as though they couldn't find a comfortable place to rest. Then I got a big bright smile so I knew dude hated it.
The pattern is modified from this eightiestastic KwikSew number. I narrowed the bodice and back and sewed rectangular bands to the tiny kimono sleeve openings, recreating the style of a grey wool Kookai top I have. The neckline I improvised could possibly stand to be re-done now that I look at these pictures. It would sit better if I cut it shorter. I find that estimating how much to account for stretch with knit neckbands is very hit-and-miss, I wish there were a foolproof formula! I probably can't be bothered to fuss with it again though. I really like the shape, I think it's very flattering. So I'll likely make a couple more but in plainer fabric... I've come to realise that this blog is basically documentation of the extreme overuse of stripes in my life.